Forums
Search

bug that looks like a poppy seed?

Hello! I just found hundreds of bugs on my "wall o waters" (aka Tomato Teepees) that are covering my tomatoes. They are tiny--literally about the size of a poppy seed (like on a bagel)the body looks like a slightly pointed oval, but its not flat, and there's a small head to it. I can't count the legs...just too tiny. Yesterday I used a kelp/seaweed fertilizer, if that's any clue?

I've tried my "Good Bug Bad Bug" book, and looked online a bit, but I've never seen anything like it and thought someone here could offer a suggestion.

I don't see them on the plants, but they are so small, and the plants are way down in the teepee, so I can't be sure. Didn't see them anywhere else, but the sheer volume of them concerns me--hundreds on each of 6 teepees!

thanks

Wow, kinda creepy! Flea beetles?

If life gives you lemons, keep 'em, 'cos hey-free lemons!
Like (0 likes)
First I was thinkin "ticks". Cause they are the size of poppy seeds. Another reason they're so insideous, cause they're so damn small.

But, I tend to agree with deemartin, that it sounds more like flea beetles. I usually put up some sticky traps around plants that tend to be susceptible to them. Eggplants, peppers, now, I guess tomatoes, too. Just paint some vaseline or I get Tangletrap from garden store (or order from gardens alive) and paint yellow piece of cardboard. (I use old styrofoam containers that chicken comes in). Skewer them on a stick and place amongst plants. Unfortunately, get some good bugs, too. But mostly gets the flea beetles.

gardenz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]"To Live Is Not Just To Survive, But To Thrive With Passion, Compassion, Humor & Style."[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My Blogs: [URL=http://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com] GardenzOwn [/URL] [URL=http://www.OurGardenEarth.blogspot.com]OurGardenEarth[/URL]
Like (0 likes)
Flea beetles...stick of C-4 and a match....oops I mean a bottle of murphys oil and water...mixed in a spray bottle.....2capfulls per 16oz.....then use those sticky traps............

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image