Forums
Search

Blackberry wine-medicinal purposes

A very old recipe for blackberry wine used for colds, coughs and stomachaches.

BLACKBERRY WINE (UNCLE DAN’S)
(Mrs. Johnson, a farmer's wife from years ago)

3 quarts blackberries, put them in blender, 1 quart boiling water. Put in glass or enamel containers, let ferment for two weeks (cover to keep gnats out). Strain.

Mix juice and 6 cups of sugar, return to container and ferment for 2 more weeks (cover to keep gnats out). Strain and refrigerate.

Good for chest cold/coughs
Stomach problems
Use 1 oz every three hours.

Must be kept refrigerated.

Hmmmmmm, I may just have to make this. I feel a little bit of tightening in my chest indicating a cold coming on.

Really!

~ Mary ~ ddogtalk at hotmail dot com There's nothing to like or dislike in another that isn't a reflection of yourself.
Like (0 likes)
I think it works. Have made it several times over the years, and keep in fridge. Seems to work. I have 3-4 quarts of frozen blackberries in freezer that need to be used, so will make some more. I do give to friends who swear by it...maybe psychological...maybe really medicinal.

Like (0 likes)
Them must be some happy gnats !
Sounds like wonderful stuff. I can't get blackberries here,well I can but they are expensive.
Mavis

[hr]I've discovered that duct tape is like the FORCE, it has a light side a dark side and it holds the universe together.
Like (0 likes)
Daddy used to swear by blackberry brandy for intestinal problems...
He would also, during our snow shoveling sessions, (years ago when we actually used to get measurable snow) come outside with the small pretty etched wine glasses with a glass of blackberry brandy for each of us...a little warm up.
That's a fond memory I'll never forget.

~~~~ I garden ♥ therefore I am. ~~~~

~~~~ Zone 7a  Southeastern PA ~~~~ Member since 2002 ~~~~

Like (0 likes)
i have ordered from this outfit for years, they used to send a free wine recipe book with your first order, and i think free shipping if over a certain amnt of order, i have made gallons n gallons of wine, dandalion, banana, rhubarb, jam n jelly wines, cranberry sauce wine was the best i ever made, http://www.eckraus.com/index.htm

Never enough time to do things right but theres allways time to do it over... If it aint broke dont fix it !!! We dont plan to fail, instead, we fail to plan. You can either wait in the sittin room, or sit in the waitin room. There is no blood in my viens, its, its, its, its chlorophyl. My thumb aint allways green !!!!!!!!!!!!!. My thumb, my thumb, its turning green. bourbon_jim123 at yahoo dot com
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image