Forums
Search

Edible Radish Seed Pods

Does anyone do this?
This was another short article in MEN. Says they stay tender for a long time & are good raw in salads or in stir fry. Also, that one plant will produce hundreds of pods?
If anyone grows them...what is the taste? Any different taste between varities of radish?

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence."  David Ben-Gurion

S.W. Ga., zone 8b but acts more like zone 9

Funny timing karen - I always eat my radishes, and have never let a plant go. I saw some at a friend's house that were 2 feet high, and had all of those pods on them - I had no idea what they were. I may let some of mine go just to try eating the pods!

They say happiness is a thing you can't touch, a thing you can't see;

I disagree  - Scrooge -

North Carolina - Zone 7a

Like (0 likes)
I just pulled up a few radishes that were going to seed yesterday. Maybe I'll let the rest go to seed and check out the pods. I forgot about that article. I'll have to look it up.

Thanks Karen.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
I have nibbled them, and think any radish lover would appreciate them in a salad.

I love the radish flowers - so beautiful, compared to the other flowers in the brassica family. A lovely pinkish color.

This year - rather than let them go wild, I'm going to try to contain them so they don't get too leggy - just for the aesthetic of it.

Like (0 likes)
adding....

Never tried them in stir fries - will do so this year!

And yes - it you let them go wild - they are prolific with the pods, however, each pod only has like 4 seeds, and it is hard to get them out of the pod. So for saved seeds, I will just collect the pods, and if they don't dry and free the seeds on their own, I will plant the pod.

for the purposes of eating the pods, I believe you must do so while they are slender and the seeds undeveloped. Whent he seeds mature, the pod puffs up - too late to eat at that stage, but good for saved seed if you let them stay on the plant to dry up a bit.

Like (0 likes)
Icicle radishes make the best tasting pods. I sell them at market and many love them but some of my CSAs don't like them at all. I let them go to seed and they just come up wherever.

------------------------------------------------

Small market and CSA grower. 1/2 acre. Doing too much by myself but trying. http://www.localharvest.org/member/M33044

Central Minnesota Zone 4

Like (0 likes)
We used to grow the rat-tail radishes, bred specifically for their succulent pods. I prefer them to root radishes (those were a bust this year). They are also attractive to pollinators. Fedco seeds carries them.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
I grow Giant Salad Radishes, long like carrots. I let 2 go to seed, plenty for next year's crop. The flowers on these are white.

When they dry on the stalk, I cut the stalk and hang it upside down in the garage til it's crunchy dry. Then just store the pods. At planting time, just crumble the pod and all into the soil. Easy to break up once totally dry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
I love the pods but I find it hard to know just when to pick them. It seems literally just a matter of hours (but it's probably not that precise) between when it's tender and when it's tough and stringy. But if you pick them at the right time, I've found that they do keep a very long time.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks everyone! I'll quit pulling mine when the root gets pithy then & let them go! Gotta try this!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence."  David Ben-Gurion

S.W. Ga., zone 8b but acts more like zone 9

Like (0 likes)
thanks for the "good polinators" idea - i need it at the community garden where i'm at - they're not organic there, everyone seems to think 'the bomb' is to plant a few marigolds around their plot in cinder blocks. i'm going to plant an entire plot of flowers to attract polinators -- and for beauty :~D

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

Like (0 likes)
Wanted to pull this thread back and give an update.

Been using radish seed pods in stir fries and curries for the last month, I don't really notice them too much at all -which is good imho.

So - whenever I need to fill up a dish - I get as many young seed pods as I can. Don't use the older ones, DS said they were too something or other in the curry.

Happy nibbling!

Like (0 likes)
I have been picking them too. We just stir fry them in olive oil and add some lemon pepper. They are really good and an interesting new veggie for us.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
I buy a packet of mixed radish varieties from Pinetree. Some immediately start growing tall. Had one that had to be 5 feet tall, but flopped over, and covered with pods and invading an adjoining bed. The radish on this plant was inedible, too fibrous. But the pods keep coming and taste just like a radish but maybe a little milder. A great new vegetable for me. And nothing grows sooner or faster than a radish.
Seeing this thread inspired me to try these. Thanks! Both raw in a salad and with a stir-fry they are tasty. I'm going to put lots in as other crops end.
But they don't last long after picking. Pick and eat ASAP before they lose their crispness.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image